1 HOUR | NOT TOO TRICKY | SERVES 4
- Mixing Bowl
- Nonstick Frying Pan
- 1 Can Jackfruit or fresh Jackfruit
- 2 large Red Onions
- 5 cloves of Garlic
- 4cm piece of Lemongrass
- 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 2 Teaspoon of Tamarind Paste (available at Asian supermarkets)
- 300ml Coconut Milk (Make sure its thick and high quality)
- 150ml Water
- 2 Teaspoon Black Mustard Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 Stick of Cinnamon
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 2 Pieces of Pandan Leaves
- Salt to taste
- 4 large Teaspoons of Sri Lankan Raw Curry Powder
- 2 Teaspoons of Chilli Powder (you can use less if you don’t like it spicy)
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- Fire always on Medium Heat
- Using thick coconut milk will make a big difference in flavour
- Add all the spices from the spice mixture to a non-stick pan and mix well on medium fire. This is to roast the spices. Keep mixing and stirring so this way it will not burn. Do it for about 3-5 minutes. When the house starts to smell, you know it is ready.
- Drain the water from the jackfruit and add it to a bowl. Add the roasted spices and give it a good mix and set aside.
- Chop the onions in half rings. Make a thick paste out of the garlic. (I use a pestle and mortar for this) Give the lemongrass a good bash to release all the flavours (Use the pestle and beat it).
- Heat the frying pan on medium heat. Spray the oil. When the oil is heating, add the mustard seeds and when the seeds start to pop, add the garlic and let it cook. Slowly add the chopped onions, lemongrass, curry and pandan leaves and fenugreek seeds when the garlic is cooking. Mix all well and let the mix cook.
- Add the Jackfruit spice mix to the bowl when the onion mix is cooked. Mix all well together. Then add the coconut milk, water, and tamarind paste. Give it a good mix. Add salt to taste and cover it with a lid.
- Jackfruit takes time to cook. After 15 minutes, check the progress and mix the curry well. You will notice the liquid is reducing. Do this again in 15 minutes. When the liquid is drained, it is ready to eat.