1 HOUR | NOT TOO TRICKY | SERVES 4
- Non stick pot or a rice cooker
- 300g Basmati Rice
- 150 ml of Water
- 2 tablespoons of Coconut or Olive Oil
- 1 large Red Onion – sliced in half rings
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 250 ml of coconut milk
- 3 Cloves of Garlic chopped
- 5 black Pepper Pods
- Salt to taste
- Piece of Pandan Leaves (optional)
- 1 Thumb-sized piece of Cinnamon Stick ( i use Ceylon Cinnamon)
- Wash the basmati rice with cold water and soak it for 30 minutes.
- Add the oil into a hot heavy-bottomed pan and immediately add garlic, onions, curry and pandan leaves.
- Stir till the onions become slightly translucent. Apart from giving a yummy flavour, the oil would ensure that each rice grain stays separated while cooking and remain fluffy without getting mushy.
- Next, stir in the teaspoon of turmeric powder, black pepper pods, black pepper powder, and cinnamon sticks and mix well. Add salt to taste.
- Lastly, transfer the rice with coconut milk and water and mix well.
- Once it’s cooked through (when the rice has soaked up all the liquid), stir the rice with a fork to fluff it up.
- Enjoy it with some delicious curries.